Vegetable Stir Fry with Coconut Ginger Sauce
For the Coconut Ginger Sauce:
2 inches ginger root, peeled and grated
4 stalks lemongrass, outer layers removed, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tblsp oil
100g creamed coconut, chopped small and mixed with 300ml hot water
500ml boiling water
3 tsp sugar
a handful of chopped corriander
For the stir fry:
1 tblsp oil
6 spring onions, chopped
1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped small (for a medium-mildish heat... add more/less depending on whether you like it hot or not!)
8-10 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
5-6 broccolli sprigs, cut into small pieces
generous handful beansprouts
few splashes dark soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
150g brown rice noodles
1 lime, in wedges
generous handful of peanuts, chopped small
1. Start by making the sauce: heat the oil in a large pan. Add the ginger, lemongrass and garlic and cook over a low heat for 6 mins until it's softened but not coloured.
2. Add the water and sugar. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 20mins or until reduced by half.
3. Now stir in the creamed coconut mix and heat for a further 2 minutes
4. Pour the mixture through a collander to remove the larger chunks of ginger and lemongrass, then stir in the corriander.
5. Cook the noodles according to the packet, then drain out and pour over the sauce. Cover with a teatowel and put to one side.
6. To make the stir fry, heat the oil in a wok or a large pan, until it's almost smoking hot. Add the spring onions, chilli, broccolli, pepper and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3 mins.
7. Pour over a tablespoon of the sauce along with the soy sauce and sugar, place a lid on the wok and cook for approx 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
8. Uncover, add the beansprouts, and then cook for a further 2 minutes.
9. Now divide the noodles and sauce between two bowls. Spoon the stir fry into the centre, and serve with lime wedges and the chopped peanuts.
10. Consider wearing a bib when eating... this stuff goes everywhere :0D